We began partnering with Simukai in Zimbabwe, in 2007, to prevent child abuse. Together we have increased awareness of child rights issues within whole communities and have trained them to support young people effectively. We also improve the employment prospects of vulnerable young people by providing skills training and rehabilitating former street children.
We establish pre-schools for vulnerable communities, which give young children a safe place to play and learn. We help further by assisting those who care for children to build small businesses themselves, so they can provide for the young people in their care sustainably.
How we make a difference together with our project partner:
- We work closely with Simukai to understand the local context, to develop community-owned responses, and to share knowledge and solutions from other places where we operate.
- Together, we set up and run pre-schools which give vulnerable children a safe place to play and learn, and we also monitor the children’s progress though home visits.
- We provide technical support and resources to the pre-schools, and we help the communities to fund themselves by assisting them to establish group income generating activities for sustainable income.
- We give parents, guardians and other caregivers training to understand and respond to child rights issues, in order to prevent child abuse and neglect, and we also provide parenting seminars for further guidance on raising children.
- We establish Child Rights Clubs to inform vulnerable children about child rights and child protection issues, and empower them to be part of the solution.
- We empower the households of orphans and vulnerable children economically, by establishing village savings and loans associations as part of our Village Investors Programme (VIP). This enables those looking after vulnerable children to pool their small resources and make business loans to each other, in order to earn a sustainable living and support the children in their care better, and for longer.
Hear Personal stories
Personal accounts from the children, young people and communities in Africa that we’ve had the privilege of working with, show extraordinary strength and human spirit.
SEE MORE PROJECTS
We are proud to be working with 27 project partners, across 217 communities, to support and empower young people for the long-term.