ACET Mbale, Uganda
Young people living in extreme poverty in Uganda often have emotional and social problems, and they have limited access to education. These vulnerable children face many challenges, including severe health problems, marrying young and early pregnancies. Many are head of their family, caring for their siblings in the absence of adult guardians.
We have been working with our project partner, ACET, in Uganda since 2000, enabling orphans and vulnerable children to become more resilient and better equipped to deal with the challenges they face. We empower their households economically, so the positive changes can be sustained for the future.
How we make a difference:
- We work closely with ACET to understand the local context, to develop community-owned responses, and to share knowledge and solutions from other places where we operate.
- Together, we equip orphans and vulnerable young people with ‘life skills’, including knowledge about child rights and child protection issues, health education and career guidance, through training sessions in schools.
- We set up Child Parliaments which help children to discuss their rights, empower them to articulate their feelings, and allow them to contribute to community awareness and decision-making.
- We offer young people vocational skills, apprenticeships and start-up tools to enable them to access employment.
- We offer counselling and positive parenting seminars to give caregivers mentoring and training about the key issues affecting young people, and access to a support network of other parents and guardians.
- We establish village savings and loans associations as part of our Village Investors Programme (VIP), which enables those looking after vulnerable children to pool their small resources and make business loans to each other, in order to earn a sustainable living and support the children in their care better, and for longer.
Hear more Personal stories
Personal accounts from the children, young people and communities in Africa that we’ve had the privilege of working with, show extraordinary strength and human spirit.
SEE MORE PROJECTS
We are proud to be working with 27 project partners, across 217 communities, to support and empower young people for the long-term.