MPC Blantyre, Malawi
The remote, rural areas of Malawi have very little infrastructure, so it is difficult and expensive for most NGOs to reach the many orphans and vulnerable children in need of support.
But along with our project partner MPC, we developed an efficient, low-cost and replicable way to reach these children, by working with the congregations and existing frameworks of the Malawi Presbyterian Church. Through them we can engage the whole community in identifying the most isolated children and providing sustainable support.
How we make a difference:
- We work closely with MPC to understand the local context, to develop community-owned responses, and to share knowledge and solutions from other places in which we operate.
- Together, we improve the health of thousands of the youngest orphans and vulnerable children, through our Early Childhood Development (ECD) Centres which give them a safe place to play, learn and have a meal, while their parents and guardians can go out to work.
- We offer emotional and social support to older orphans and vulnerable children through our Children’s Corners which give them an opportunity to spend time with other young people, receive support, and have access to ‘life skills’ training which equips them to make positive choices in their lives.
- We equip out-of-school orphaned youths with vocational training. enterprise and money management skills so they are prepared to build a better future for themselves.
- We establish village savings and loans associations as part of our Village Investors Programme (VIP), which enables those looking after vulnerable children to pool their small resources and make business loans to each other. This helps them to earn a sustainable living and support their children better, and for longer.
We See Hope in Heidi and Rose
Learn how MPC Blantyre helped Rose and Heidi build a better life through our VIP programme.
Hear Personal stories
Personal accounts from the children, young people and communities in Africa that we’ve had the privilege of working with, show extraordinary strength and human spirit.
SEE MORE PROJECTS
We are proud to be working with 29 project partners, across 222 communities, to support and empower young people for the long-term.